In a rut? Feel stuck? This article will help.
The fact of the matter is if you’re in business, are ambitious, and are constantly striving for more, then you are going to experience mood swings. You will feel like throwing it all in. It’s both a blessing and curse. Here are 10 Strategies to Break Out of a Rut.
These are all from personal experience.
- Move your body. Even just 30 minutes, try to “get in” your body.
- Meditate. Some days I will meditate upon waking, after lunch, and at night. If you’re just starting out, something like HeadSpace would be perfect.
- Express honest gratitude for 3 people in your life. You can write these down, send a heartfelt text, or just focus your attention on them.
- Make your bed. Naval Admiral William McRaven – famous for his work in the Special Operations – gave a great commencement speech at the University of Texas about this. His main tip? Make your bed.
- Perform a random act of kindness. If you cant make yourself feel better, then do little thins to make other people feel good. This is a favourite of mine when you’re having a hard day. Buy coffee for the person in line behind you, help the wait person with some messy tables, volunteer at a local charity. There’s a high chance one of the people you help is having a harder time than you, or battling something almost identical.
- Use a “brag book” at night. Every night when you finish your work, record at least 3 wins from today. Even if nothing that appears significant happened, find 3 small wins.
- Read something inspiring, listen to a podcast or watch something that motivates you. And then, and here’s the important part, act in the moment of the high. What I mean is, don’t sink back to a low. Take action and build momentum after the state change.
- Step away from your normal environment, new surroundings bring new perspectives.
- Vitamin D. Get 10 minutes of sun exposure today.
- Perfect Day. Now that you’re in a better state, revisit your goals and design your Perfect Day. That is, what would a perfect average day look like to you? Design a compelling future and write in where you can revisit it frequently.
What would you add to this list? I’d love to hear what works for you.
If you would like more help to grow your fitness business, and to break out of a rut, then let’s talk. We can schedule a short 15-minute talk – called the Business Breakthrough Call – to see if and how I can help. Just click the link here to schedule a time for your Business Breakthrough Call.